Sunday, November 3, 2013

Because of Them...

I discovered something amazing online the other night.  The orphanage/institution I volunteered at when I spent a semester in South America has a website. I hadn't visited that site for a couple years and when I did the other night I cried such happy tears.  They have made such amazing changes to it.  I have no idea if they have a new director or what but there are so many photo galleries, a facebook page and stories about what is happening in this orphanage.

But WOW is all I can say.  The children in my ward only came out of their cribs for meals and to be dressed.  Sometimes I got in trouble for taking a child from their bed to play with them.  On one of my first days there, I was told when they were laying in their cribs I could just sit behind the desk and watch them.  No thanks!  I was going to interact with them no matter what.  Sadly, I cannot find all the angels I worked with in these pictures.  It makes me wonder what happened to these sweeties and I pray they are okay, but I know the reality of the lives they live.  There are still the "favorites" who appear to be in most of the pictures.

When I spent 10 hours a week for four months, I only saw children leave to go to special doctors appointments and a couple got to go to school elsewhere.  Children with Godmothers were able to go there on weekends but the photos they show have children doing Zumba, in cooking classes, going to the movies, trips to other cities and parading the streets.  These children are no longer hidden away and there are people working with them who truly love them and enjoy them.






My heart is so happy and full.  Because of these children, this is where Ginger on a Mission was born.  I always wanted to do more for the forgotten children.  Some of my friends and family may never understand this mission but I cannot forget these angels.  The children in this orphanage are not allowed to be adopted.  There is one sweet girl whose Godmother fought and fought and spoke with me often about the fight when I was there.  That sweetie is no longer there, their fight paid off.  She is the only one I know of that was adopted.









Be Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment